Tuesday, August 21, 2012

BRIGHT IDEA


With CFLs taking over the market for the smarter more energy efficient way to brighten a room I was wondering what to do with them once they do burn out...15 yrs from now. Because I don't want to possibly pollute with mercury and I certainly don't want a stash of bulbs slowly collecting on my counters because I'm so afraid to throw them away.  Though maybe this could somehow be a cool new design idea? Here's what I found. I live in NYC but I'm sure your city has similar info that you can check out regarding bulbs or appliances or batteries that you're unsure of how to dispose of.

NYCWasteLess, recycling program:
“CFLs (not fluorescent tubes) can be dropped off for free recycling at any Home Depot, IKEA, Lowes, or other participating retailers.

Alternatively, CFLs and other fluorescents can be brought to any of NYC Department of Sanitation's Household Special Waste Drop-Off Sites or upcoming SAFE disposal events (yes, the city hosts these typically in the Spring in large parking lots where you can bring what I've already mentioned plus lots of other random stuff).

Double bag before discarding to prevent injury to Sanitation workers, if you choose to dispose of bulbs with your regular trash”.

If that's not easy, then I don't know what is.  Oh, you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment