Tuesday, July 24, 2012

REPURPOSED WITH LOVE

There are times when clutter can be sentimental (so I guess clutter isn’t the best word in this case, maybe loving assortment).  I’m not always so heartless and eager to get rid of crap: there are ways you can get creative with the things you can’t bear to part with, consolidating them in such a way that saves space or turning them into something you needed anyway.

One genius idea I saw for the first time on Home by Novogratz.  Take kids’ artwork, scan it to your computer, and print it out as one large collage and frame it.  The Novogratz team used artist Jan Eleni to pull their collage off, but with a little patience you can do it yourself. 

Another idea is to turn your photos into artwork.  Search "personalized photo necklaces" on Etsy.com.  Or, instead of making another photo album that you’ll probably only look at once every five years, print and hang your pics on the wall in a huge collage.  Blow them up in black and white or really bright colors and make a gallery that’s interesting to look at.  It’ll make you smile every time you walk into the room.

Third idea is mine.  When it became decision time for my son’s old baby blankets (donate, store, or repurpose), I knew I had to get creative because he loved those blankets and I didn’t want them to go away.  I was redoing his room at the time so I thought, throw pillows.  When I Googled “how to sew a throw pillow cover”, I came upon the site www.cottagemagpie.com and in “10 easy steps” I learned how to turn these cute little blankets into cool pillows.  It was super easy to follow and, though I sewed everything by hand (I don’t do enough sewing to warrant owning a sewing machine), it was a fairly quick project.  And the pillows came out great and the little guy loves snuggling with them.  It makes me happy that I wasn’t so heartless with this one. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment