Saturday, June 30, 2012

CUPCAKE TOUR

Anyone who truly knows me knows that I could and would eat an entire cake in one sitting. A pint of ice cream is child's play.  A dozen cookies or more at once?  Don't make me laugh.  I love my sweets and would eat them all day long if my grown up, anti-diabetes voice didn't take over and steer me in the direction of vegetables and whole grains.

It was obviously a no-brainer then to sign up for a cupcake tour of NYC.  A guide of where to find the city's best mini treasures including a sample at each one?? Check please!  I already had my favorite spot, naturally, but was willing to keep an open mind.

I had to cancel my first excursion because of an interview of all things. Trust, I would've rather have been stuffing cupcakes in my face.  My 2nd date fell right in the middle of the heat wave and while I wanted to reschedule, my grown up voice kicked in again and wouldn't let me flake.  I just hoped I could enjoy the deliciousness without passing out or puking due to the sugar/heat combo.  How embarrassing would that be?

I'm so glad I endured the heat because this was one of the most delicious and interesting things I've done in a while.  Not only did I try cupcakes from spots I've been meaning to check out, but our tour went through areas of town that I don't normally go to unless I have a reason.  I also learned that cupcakes were originally topped with fatty lard and that it was Winston Churchill who suggested putting a sweet frosting on top. That's a solid man right there.

Sadly, I couldn't eat my way through all of the treats (one cookie and one gelato stop included - cookie is Dutch for cupcake (or something) and the gelato was to cleanse our sophisticated cupcake palettes) and I know the heat had something to do with it.  My inner child was shaking her head at me in disbelief.  It's probably for the best as eating half a dozen treats, while delicious, isn't the healthiest thing to do in an hour and a half.  Granted, we walked a few miles in the process, but still.

Despite the heat and the fact that I couldn't "perform" the tour was wonderful. Our tour guide, Mallory, was super knowledgeable; she answered all of my random questions and was probably amazed that one person knew and cared so much about cupcakes. And the buddy I made for the day was sweet, though she didn't like cupcakes; she was there as chaperone only to her pre-teen daughter and her friends. I think that right there speaks volumes about my tastes...

Overall experience was great.  And I would totally do another tour again.  The company (Great New York Tours) has excursions of all kinds throughout the city.  Oh, and I have a new favorite spot. Molly’s Cupcakes down in the Village.


No comments:

Post a Comment