Thursday, May 31, 2012

TO THE FULLEST

I’m only thirty-something and there have been too many times where I’ve felt like the lamest person in the world.  Too many nights spent settling in after dinner, watching TV, catching up with friends via FB, text, maybe over the phone, and then calling it a night.  Anyone feeling me?  Sad, sad, sad (SMH).  In talking to many people though I’ve realized that I’m not alone here; this is actually somewhat “normal” behavior (especially for parents) but still, I don’t have to like it.  I’ll have plenty of time to sit around and watch TV when I’m dead.  Right now I want to do cool stuff.  I want to have fun stories to tell, I want to live.
            
So here’s the plan for my new life.  Finding time: I don’t have to shuffle my schedule around to “live”.  I’ll pick days and times that I’m already free so there’s no stressing over finding time or a sitter (never mind the added cost).  This is supposed to be fun, not torture.  Finding extra money: I’ll pick activities that aren’t super expensive and trade out other things for them.  Instead of getting my nails done or buying more clothes I don't really need one week, I’ll do X instead.  And if I find something a little pricey, who cares.  I’m doing it anyway.  Finding ideas: I already subscribe to a ton of email deal sites (more than a normal person can keep up with) like Groupon, Living Social, Urban Daddy, and Daily Candy so ideas for this new life should be easy.  These emails come across my desk every day and I think, “Ooh how fun does that look?”  Now I’ll actually know first hand what this stuff is all about.  Whether I use the deals or not, the ideas are there for the taking.  Could be as simple as trying a new restaurant with friends, could be as intense as a private flying lesson.  And the sites offer everything in between.

Point is, get out there and make it happen.  We only get one shot at this thing called life so let's make it good.  No, fantastic.  And if the class/experience/food was awful?  Hey, at least you get a good story out of it.  No?

No comments:

Post a Comment