Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I ROLL DEEP

To Facebook or not to Facebook, that was the question. 

When I started this blog I made the conscious decision not to start a Facebook page for it.  I knew it would be a struggle to keep up with and I wasn’t convinced that I needed it.  I could tweet my fleeting thoughts and write my more in-depth ones here on the Blog Monster with pics and all.  Followers come with both Twitter & the Blog so what was the point of FB, really?

I like hanging out with friends but I also look forward to being alone.  Maybe because I’ve always been content with just “being” drives my views on this argument here.  Perhaps my fondness for consolidation and my less than stellar tech ability also play into what many may consider bizarre for 2012.  But listen, I’ve got 3 emails, my personal Facebook, I constantly text, I joined LinkedIn because that was the “professional” thing to do, I started the Blog Monster, then actively joined Twitter, and now I’m getting invites for BranchOut though I’m not quite sure what it is (and I’m not going to find out so sorry if I’m ignoring your requests).  One person does not need 500 social media outlets!  With so many options, how can one person keep up them all?!
            
The answer is simple: one can’t, not well anyway.  I could certainly sign up for all of these fabulous things: create accounts, post pics, add my resume, update my info, all that good stuff, but I’d never in a million years have the time to use them for what they’re supposed to be used for – networking, keeping up with friends and family, and sharing information.  I hardly have time to discover what my friends, family and colleagues are up to in real life.

I know there are people out there who are digital ninjas.  I'm just not one of them...yet.  I made the decision not to create a FB page for the Blog Monster when I started this whole venture and...OK, OK I've totally caved.  What's one more thing to do, really?  I've given in to Pinterest for crying out loud so I think FB deserves a shot.  I write sarcastically about organizing - who the eff cares what I have to Pin? (though I do genuinely thank my very small handful of Pinterest followers, I'll be adding tonight, stay tuned).  So FB fan page, here I am.  Everyone, like away otherwise all this will be for naught.  I promise I'll try my best to keep up...

No comments:

Post a Comment