Monday, November 19, 2012

MHM! #obsession


      Today’s MHM! #obsession is yoga and/or meditation practice.  I recently started taking yoga classes because I found myself debating one Saturday night whether or not I should check myself into a mental facility (I’m half kidding).  After I decided that I didn’t want to move into a hospital for who knows how long, perhaps be put on medication, miss work, not see my friends, and all that goes along with solitary confinement I decided to go a less permanent route.  The next day I found myself at a Buddhist Temple meditating and listening to sermons from Monks for three hours (not kidding at all)...and all felt good in the world again. 

Meditation is a very disciplined practice and, while I love the idea of it, I’m still researching what type is right for me (there are many).  In the meantime, I’ve fallen in love with yoga.  One of my best friends recommended it as it combines meditation with inner and outer strength building, spirituality, and (what I’ve found and found the most helpful), peacefulness or an overall sense of calm especially in our hectic, over-scheduled worlds.  I only go a few times a week but I always look forward to it and feel amazing afterwards – as if I can take on anything.  It’s only been a few weeks since I’ve started but I already look at the world with a different set of eyes.  I’m more appreciative of what I have, take on stressful situations with a better sense of calm, and feel a greater sense of appreciativeness.  Not just for what I have, but for everything.
Hear me?

No comments:

Post a Comment