Thursday, June 7, 2012

IF IT AIN’T BROKE

Am I frugal??  There’s no way; I love shopping too much.  I don’t know maybe there’s a chance?

A couple months ago, my bff picked me up for dinner and caught me as I was lugging my laundry back to my apartment.  So then at dinner she starts making fun of my laundry bag, of all things.  No joke.  “My laundry bag?  There’s nothing wrong with it!” I insisted.  “Um, what about the fact that you’ve had it since 1997?” she said.  I was totally busted.

Hear me out.  Yes, I’ve had the bag for 15 years but I mean, it’s not falling apart, I throw it in the wash every couple of weeks, and riiiight…I use it to transport dirty clothes to the laundromat.  So, what’s the problem?  Should it be designer or renewed every couple of years?  The laundromat is literally around the corner from my apartment; it takes a minute max to walk to.  Who’s going to see me?  Better yet, do I care who sees me?  Oh, and side note, the bag isn’t hideous or anything.  It’s a name brand ski bag.  I was willing to give in to my bff that it was weird that I use a ski bag for my laundry but, overall, I so wasn’t getting her point.  Am I practicing some sort of laundry faux pas that I’m not aware of?

I think I figured out that my friend is of the mindset that because the bag is old a replacement is just necessary.  Never mind that she loves shopping more than me.  What’s crazy is that I think tons of people fall into this trap of buying just because.  My point of view is, why spend money on something new if what you have works perfectly fine?  If it were a handbag I’d totally jump on the shopping bandwagon, but it doesn’t make sense to go out and spend X amount on something just because.  Maybe I’m being a little stubborn or maybe a little frugal (probably a little of both) but I don’t need one so I’m not getting one.  What I’m going to do is spend that money on some new summer shoes or jewelry.  Something that more people will see, not just the woman who runs the laundromat.  I’m sure she doesn’t judge my bag…does she??!!   
 
…breaking news!  No pun intended, honest.  My best friend would be happy to hear (and I’m actually laughing about this now) that after a long run – I’m talking brand new for my 6th grade school trip to NYC (yup, you heard right, 6th grade - I don’t play) my toiletry bag bit the dust.  I was in a mad dash to unpack after the 500th trip home this year and I must’ve pulled the zipper a little too hard.  It didn’t break so much as got stuck in a weird way that won’t un-stick.  I don’t know if I was exhausted from the arduous week before or if I was truly sad to see my run with my peach flowered water color bag end but I sat on my bathroom floor and actually shed a tear.  Then I laughed at the fact that I’ve had this stupid thing since 1991.  1991?!  I mean, let’s get serious, this thing needed to break.  I’m actually looking forward to getting a new big girl bag and after checking out a few options I settled on this grown up floral version from C Wonder.  It should be here next week.  I’ll be obsessing ‘til then.

No comments:

Post a Comment