Thursday, May 17, 2012

IT’S NOT A DIRTY WORD

A confession.  I re-gift.  And I don’t feel bad about it.  But let me explain before you freak out.
First of all, (maybe all too obvious) I hate clutter and so I get annoyed when I end up with things that I don't want.  It’s not that I’m unappreciative of the things I get, but a lot of times I end up with things I never asked for or that were totally unwarranted.  Perfect example?  Gifts with Purchase.  GWP’s, I hate you!  Sorry to all of the companies who participate, I understand why you do it, but if I want a cheap bag with my perfume or a lousy tee when I join the gym I’ll go out and get it on my own so it’s at least the right color or size, thanks.  Wait, no I won’t.
So, what to do with this junk that could easily accumulate over time?  Re-gift it.  And I’m not just talking crappy t-shirts here.  Any present that you get and isn’t quite “you” is OK to give to someone who will better appreciate it.  The bags I used to get with perfume?  Little kids in my life have loved them.  A thank you gift of tea and biscotti that I’m pretty sure was a leftover slash “crap we should’ve gotten you a gift but didn’t”?  I gave to a friend who actually drinks tea (I hate tea, but thanks for nothing).  And those tees?  Goodwill. 
They key is to unload the stuff right away. Don’t hold on to it, don’t waste a single second looking for a corner or drawer to shove it in, or even contemplate what you could possibly use it for.  Trust your first instinct.  You know you don’t like it, so don’t try convincing yourself otherwise because then you’ll just end up with a bunch of crap that you’ll have to sort through and clean out later. 
So “re-gift” what you won’t use but please don’t pass it off as an actual gift.  That’s just tacky.  There should be no wrapping involved, no cards, no “I shopped for hours, hope you like it!”  Let’s get serious.  The only thought you put into this is who will actually use this garbage??  It’s crap to you so be honest with your friend, “Hey, some idiot gave me tea, but I think you’ll like it.  Want it?”  It’ll make your friend smile and it’ll keep your house free of clutter. Win-win.  

No comments:

Post a Comment